Saturday 25 May 2013

My First Aquarium And I Need All The Advice I Can Get! - Tropical Fish

I recently was given an aquarium with stand as a gift and they had a turtle with dirt in it previously. So what i first did was call PetSmart and asked if i could even use it as an aquarium after it having a reptile living in it and they said yes.

My next step was trying to figure out how many gallons the tank would hold. To do this I know i needed a measuring tape but couldnt get one at the time so i took pictures and asked around. Everyone told me it looked like a 25, 35 or 45 gallon tank so I cleaned it extremely well and i then bought a Tetra Whisper EX45 power filter (30-60 gallon aquariums), decorations (fake plants and a fake coral piece), 25 lbs of Gravel, Topfin Water Conditioner, A Aqueon 30" Versa-Top lid, and a Aqueon Single Tube Strip Light (Fluorescent aquarium light) at Petsmart and set it all up on Tuesday night. I was told to wait 24-48 hours before putting fish so we did not buy any fish, all we did was set up the tank and let it filter for 48 hrs.

Wednesday i finally found measuring tape and did the math and found out the tank is actually 27.3 gallons and knowing that information i added 27mls of water conditioner.

Friday we went shopping for some fish at Pets Barn and got an albino tetra (sex unknown). We then went to Petsmart and bought a 2 male Red Wag platy, 1 male Red Mickey Mouse Platy, 2 black Molly (1 pregnant female, 1 male) and a small Plecostomus (The store clerk mentioned to us they do get up to 2 feet but for now he should be safe till we would need to move him to a larger tank). As well as Tetra Color Plus - Tropical Flakes and TopFin Algae Thins.

Anyways, we got home and i put all the fish in their bags floating in the tank for an hour and slowly started to release them into the tank and they did very well! The only thing i noticed was the Mickey Mouse and the Tetra were rather lonely and looked a bit lost. So i decided to go buy a few more to join them. I went back to Pets Barn and got 2 more tetras and an aquarium divider for the Molly, and went to Pets Barn and got another Red Wag Platy and a Gold Mickey Mouse Platy.

As far as the divider I divided her spot to about 3/4ths of the aquarium and left the others in the 2/3rds.

Came home and put the bags to float in the tank and an hour later let them all out again. The Tetras did great and the first Tetra i got joined the two new ones with so much enthusiasm, he looked SO happy, it was amazing!
The Gold Mickey Mouse Platy and Red Wag Platy did NOT do so well and began to die and within a few minutes were gone and i have no idea why.

I then went back to Petsmart and showed them what happen and they replaced them for two Gold Mickey Mouse Plattys. Came home, did the same thing and let them sit for an hour in the bag floating above the tank and then let them out. One of them i was kind of skeptical about because he seemed a bit droopy but after a while in the aquarium he looked fine. Added the divider and separated my female Molly and now everyone is doing good.

Here is how i have it set up as of right now.
Left is all the other fish, right is my female Molly's area.

My First Aquarium and I need all the advice I can get!-imag3520.jpg


Now i have a few questions to ask....

1. Most importantly, am i stressing the female Molly with the smaller space i am giving her?

2. Is there anything else i should be doing for the aquarium?

3.The filter i have is for a 30-60 gallon. Could it be an issue seeing as my aquarium is smaller?

4. How can i know FOR SURE if my Molly is pregnant? She has a very big belly compared to the male.

5. All the equipment i have is everything good for my aquarium size?

6. Could i have been the reason the first Gold Mickey and the 3rd Red Wag Platy Died?

Again ANY and ALL advice i greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Source: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/146660-my-first-aquarium-i-need-all-advice-i-can-get.html

State of the Union 2013 katy perry Rihanna Katy Perry Grammys 2013 Ed Sheeran Fun ll cool j

No comments:

Post a Comment